Josh Meier M.D. F.A.R.S.
A native Northern Nevadan, Dr. Meier was born and raised in Reno. He graduated from medical school with highest distinction from the University of Southern California at the top of his class. Dr. Meier completed his residency training at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary (MEEI) in the Harvard Combined Program in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. He then completed a Rhinology fellowship (endoscopic sinus and anterior skull base surgery) at Harvard Medical School and MEEI. In 2015 and 2016 MEEI was rated as the #1 Otolaryngology (ENT) department in the country by U.S. News and World Report (USNEWS). Dr. Meier is board certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology. After completing his training, Dr. Meier returned to Reno to take over Dr. John Dooley’s practice upon his retirement.
Dr. Meier’s clinical focus is on the diagnosis and management (medical and surgical) of diseases of the nose and paranasal sinuses, especially chronic sinusitis. Dr. Meier is the only fellowship-trained Rhinologist in Northern Nevada and Northeastern California. This advanced training allows Dr. Meier to perform complex revision sinus surgeries, as well as to endoscopically manage disorders of the tear ducts, orbit and anterior skull base. His additional training enables him to perform minimally invasive endoscopic sinus surgery with a focus on mucosal preservation and quicker healing. Because of these techniques, Dr. Meier does not use nasal packing or splints in the vast majority of his patients after nasal surgery. In addition, he has unique expertise in managing smell and taste disorders.
Dr. Meier has lectured nationally and throughout the region on rhinologic topics. He has published over a dozen scientific papers, the majority on endoscopic sinus and skull base surgery.
Dr. Meier is a Fellow of the American Rhinologic Society (F.A.R.S.), recognizing his dedication to the treatment of disorders of the paranasal sinuses. He is the only Fellow of the ARS in Northern Nevada and Northeastern California. Dr. Meier is a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Nevada Reno Medical School. In addition, Dr. Meier is a contributor to sinusvideos.com, an online video library of sinus surgery.
Dr. Meier is an avid runner, completing nine marathons, and he enjoys cycling in the mountains of Northern Nevada and Eastern California. He enjoys skiing in the Sierra and spending time around Graeagle with his family.
Medical School: University of Southern California
Internship: General Surgery, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School
Residency: Harvard Combined Program in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
Fellowship: Rhinology (Endoscopic Sinus and Anterior Skull Base Surgery), Harvard Medical School
Rhinologic Surgeries Performed
- Primary endoscopic sinus surgery for chronic sinusitis with and without polyps
- Revision endoscopic sinus surgery
- Frontal sinus drillout (Draf 3 / Modified Lothrop)
- Inferior turbinate reduction
- Endoscopic dacryocystorhinotomy (DCR)
- Endoscopic orbital decompression
- Endoscopic repair of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leak
- Endoscopic resection of sinonasal tumors
- Endoscopic approach to the skull base and pituitary gland
- Endoscopic repair of skull base defects
- Fellow of American Rhinologic Society
- American Academy of Otolaryngology / Head and Neck Surgery
- Washoe County Medical Society
- Nevada State Medical Society
Learn more about disorders of the paranasal sinuses and skull base by visiting the website of the American Rhinologic Society:
- Paranasal Sinus Anatomy
- Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
- Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak
- Repair of Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak
- Septoplasty and Inferior Turbinate Reduction
- Banks TA, Rickert S, Benedict CA, Ma L, Ko M, Meier J, Ha W, Schneider K, Granger SW, Turovskaya O, Eleaut D, Otero D, French AR, Henry SC, Hamilton JD, Scheu S, Pfeffer K, Ware CW. A Lymphotoxin – IFN b Axis Essential for Lymphocyte Survival Revealed during Cytomegalovirus Infection. J Immunology. 2005; 174:7217-7225.
- Fayad JN, Semaan MT, Meier JC, House JW. Hearing Results Using the SMart Piston Prosthesis. Otol Neurotol. 2009; 30: 1122-7.
- Meier JC, Bleier BS. Novel Techniques and the Future of Skull Base Repair. Adv Otorhinolaryngol. 2013; 74:174-83.
- Meier JC, Bleier BS. Anteriorly Based Pedicled Flaps for Skull Base Reconstruction. Adv Otorhinolaryngol. 2013; 74:64-70.
- Sethi R, Kozin E, Remenschneider A, Meier J, VanderLann P, Faquin W, Deschler D, Frankenthaler R. Mammary Analogue Secretory Carcinoma: Update on a New Diagnosis of Salivary Gland Malignancy. Laryngoscope. 2014;124:188-95.
- Herr MW, Sethi RK, Meier JC, Chambers KJ, Remenschneider A, Chan A, Curry WT, Barker FG, Deschler DG, Lin DT. Esthesioneuroblastoma: An Update on the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and Massachusetts General Hospital Experience with Craniofacial Resection, Proton Beam Radiation and Chemotherapy. J Neurol Surg B Skull Base. 2014; 75: 58-64.
- Chambers KJ, Lin DT, Meier J, Remenschneider A, Herr M, Gray ST. Incidence and Survival Patterns of Cranial Chordoma in the United States. Laryngoscope. 2014; 124:1097-1102.
- Meier JC, Remenschneider AK, D’Amico L, Holbrook EH, Gray ST, Metson R. A New Model for Collection of Clinical Outcomes Data in Patients with Chronic Rhinosinusitis. Int Forum Allergy Rhinology. 2014; 4:411-415.
- Dedmon M, Meier J, Chambers K, Remenschneider A, Mehta B, Lin D, Yoo A, Curry W, Gray S. Delayed endovascular coil extrusion following internal carotid artery embolization. J Neurol Surg Rep. 2014; 75:e255-8.
- Remenschneider AK, Scangas G, Meier JC, Gray ST, Holbrook EH, Gliklich RE, Metson R. EQ-5D Derived Health Utility Values in Chronic Rhinosinusitis. Laryngoscope. 2015; 125: 1056-61.
- Chambers KJ, Lehmann AE, Remenschneider AK, Dedmon M, Meier J, Gray ST, Lin DT. Incidence and Survival Patterns of Sinonasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma in the United States. J Neurol Surg B Skull Base. 2015; 76: 94-100.
- Meier JC, Remenschneider AK, Gray ST, Holbrook EH, Gliklich RE, Metson R. The Impact of Surgical Trainee Participation on Sinus Surgery Outcomes. Laryngoscope. 2016; 126:316-21.
- Meier JC, Holbrook EH. Emerging Innovative Topical Therapies. In: Batra P, Han JK, eds. Practical Medical and Surgical Management of Chronic Rhinosinusitis. New York, NY: Springer; 2015.
- Yarlagadda B, Meier JC, Lin DT, Emerick KS, Deschler DG. Loco-regional Control of Tongue Base Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma with Primary Resection and Radial Forearm Free-Flap Reconstruction. Ear Nose Throat J. 2017; 96:37-40.
- Meier JC, Scangas GA, Remenschneider AK, Sadow P, Chambers K, Dedmon M, Lin DT, Holbrook EH, Metson R, Gray ST. Skull Base Erosion and Associated Complications in Sphenoid Sinus Fungal Balls. Allergy & Rhinology. 2016; 7: e227-e232.